Land Survey Party Chief – San Marcos, TX
The Party Chief is the crew leader who possesses leadership skills of direction, training, accountability and safety.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Must be able to complete the duties of Rodman and/or Instrumentman.
- Measuring distances on a variety of structures and relaying the data to crew.
- Reading and utilizing subdivision plats and field notes to search for property corners.
- Utilization of proper techniques in the use of prism poles, level rods and other equipment necessary in the performance of the job to ensure data is accurately collected.
- Making field notes and drawing field sketches that properly reflect field conditions at the time of the survey.
- Planning and performing of various job scopes, ensuring that projects are correctly completed in the most precise and economically manner using the resources provided by the company and under the direction of their supervisor’s.
- Training their subordinates in the performance of their duties utilizing their own experience, knowledge and any resources provided by the company.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be able to work in varied environmental conditions.
- Must be able to perform the physical tasks as necessary to complete the jobs as set out by their supervisors.
- Must have excellent communication skills and penmanship to ensure instructions and field data are properly relayed between the crew. Must be detailed-oriented.
- Must be skilled at performing a survey with minimal direction from their supervisors and be able to direct co-workers in the proper procedures necessary to perform their duties.
- Skilled in the use of all conventional surveying equipment.
- Must have solid understanding of procedures used to verify that equipment is in proper adjustment, such as how to peg their levels, and check their total station to a baseline.
- Capable of utilizing the various functions of the different data collectors, such as locating points by using the various offset methods, inversing between located points, and how to use the collector when traversing to other points.
- Must have a strong understanding of surveying related mathematics and be capable of utilizing various trigonometry and geometry formulas in the field to properly re-establish boundaries and in the staking and setting out of any proposed improvements.
- Full comprehension of the various scopes set forth by the company and be capable of relating field data to the office in a clear and complete manner.
- 2+ Years experience in the field as a surveyor
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the principal duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal duties and responsibilities.
- Regularly required to talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
- Continuously required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, bend or crouch.
- Frequently required to sit as the position requires drive time in a vehicle.
- Frequently required to reach above and use hands for to finger, handle, or feel with fine manipulation.
- Occasionally required to push and pull objects.
- Frequently required to lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds.
- Required to meet and/or pass all site specific tests required by customers.
The employee is continuously outdoors for long periods of time. The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the principal duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal duties and responsibilities.
- Position is of a high stress level.
- Required to work in all types of extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Continuously exposed to the elements of the outdoors which includes but not limited to, weather, wildlife, vegetation and rough terrain.
- Occasionally works near mechanical parts in outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and lightning.
- Primarily works on a 2- or 3-man crew and is also subject to communicating with customers or other individuals on the jobsite.